This week, the legislative session continues in Albany. I joined Senator Chuck Schumer and Governor Hochul last week for a visit to the Albany Nanotechnology Complex to highlight the Capital Region’s role as a center for new technology and the nation’s first semiconductor site.
As always, read on for community updates from around the 109th District, and stay safe!
LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND PRESS
- Schumer, Hochul Visit Albany Nanotechnology Complex. 📱💻🕹 Great to be with Senator Chuck Schumer and Governor Kathy Hochul this morning at the #Albany nanotechnology complex to urge continuing investment in nanotechnology and semiconductor development! Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan, Daniel McCoy — Albany County Executive, and I are committed to ensuring the Capital Region leads the nation in this type of research development. It’s time for a National Semiconductor Technology Center here in Albany and the U.S. House should pass the bipartisan US Innovation and Competition Act as soon as possible.
- Albany Business Review: Fahy & Purnomo Op-Ed on Alcohol-To-Go. 🍸 Proud to pen this Albany Business Review op-ed with Dominick Purnomo, owner of dp An American Brasserie and Yono’s, on permanently allowing ‘alcohol-to-go’ — a vital financial lifeline for New York’s restaurant industry. Up to 8,000+ restaurants in NY have closed their doors since March 2020 — far too many.
- Additionally, 🗞 from the Times Union editorial board: “In other words, takeaway alcohol will be heavily regulated, which should help allay potential fears over its impacts. And New Yorkers, it should be noted, don’t seem especially wary: At least two polls found that majorities supported the idea. Takeaway alcohol sales are an idea whose time has come. Lawmakers should give a toast to Ms. Hochul’s proposal.” Proud to carry the bill to do this — let’s get it done this year in the budget, Governor Kathy Hochul! Our small and locally-owned restaurants need this vital financial lifeline.
- Governor Announces $70M Available to Address Childcare Deserts. 👶 Child care is essential to the long-term success of New Yorkers and their families, and we have work to do in ensuring that every household has access to quality, affordable childcare regardless of ZIP code. I commend Governor Kathy Hochul for beginning to address ‘childcare deserts’ where access to programs is particularly limited. More below on how providers can apply for these funds.
- 2021 Was the Third-Straight Hottest Year on Record for the Northeast. 2021 was again the northeast U.S.’ third-straight hottest year since 1895, according to Cornell University. This underscores the rise in global temperatures across the world and the direness of the climate crisis. We need to #ElectrifyEverything and rapidly meet our ambitious #ClimateAction goals here in New York State. There is no time to waste — literally.
- Assembly Passes Legislation to Protect Rideshare Users. 📣 This week, the Assembly passed a bill I sponsor that will ensure New Yorkers who use ridesharing apps like Uber or Lyft are safe by requiring additional safety precautions. No one should have to fear for their safety or life for simply calling a ride.
- Order Up to Four At-Home COVID-19 Tests at No Cost to You. Visit covidtests.gov to order up to four at-home COVID-19 tests per household — at no cost to you!
- New Community COVID-19 Testing Sites Open. To continue addressing the need for testing in the Capital Region, I’ve worked with Governor Kathy Hochul to open new mass community testing sites to help alleviate demand and supply issues. The testing sites can be found in the graphic below (click for more information):
ICYMI: IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- ICYMI: Letter Sent Urging Including SUNY Albany and Binghamton University as Flagship Institutions. 🎓 The Governor has proposed only two new ‘flagship’ locations for SUNY. That’s why Senator Neil D. Breslin, Assemblymember John McDonald, and I have penned a letter urging that University at Albany, SUNY and Binghamton University be included as new SUNY ‘Flagship’ institutions in the final budget.
- Read more from the Times Union here.
- ICYMI: Welcoming Our 2022 Legislative Fellow and Intern! 🎓 Welcome to our new 2022 Center for Women in Government & Civil Society fellow and legislative intern; Sujaya and Alisha! Looking forward to all you will accomplish this year with our office!
COMMUNITY EVENTS + RESOURCES
- New Yorkers Can File Their Taxes for Free! ❔ Did you know that most New Yorkers can file their taxes for free through the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance? Learn more: www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/
- New Affordable Connectivity Program Can Help With Monthly Internet Costs. 🖥️ Did you know the new Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) can help you pay up to $30 of your monthly internet service bill? Check it out and see if you might qualify for the benefit: acpbenefit.org
- ERAP Reopens. 🏠 New York State’s ERAP program has reopened although additional funds have not been secured for the program, however applying will protect you from eviction until your application is processed.
- Learn more: otda.ny.gov/ERAP
- ‘Piece Together’ Art Exhibit at Pine Hills Library. Make sure to stop by the Albany Public Library’s ‘Pieced Together’ art exhibit at the Pine Hills branch, a collection of artwork that transforms cut and discarded paper into new creations!
- Important SNAP Program Changes. 🥫 New changes to NY’s #SNAP program include providing a new one-page application form, allowing older NYers to recertify their benefits for 36 months instead of 24 months, and eliminating the interview requirement for recertification. Learn more and apply for SNAP here.
- New York State Homeowners’ Assistance Fund Launches. 🏠 Homeowners who are behind on their mortgage and may be facing foreclosure due to COVID impacts are able to access the NYS Homeowners Assistance Fund (HAF) to get help staying in their homes! Visit www.nyhomeownerfund.org or call 1–844–776–9423 to apply.
- All New Yorkers 12+ Now Able to Receive COVID-19 Booster Shot. 💉 All New Yorkers aged 12+ are now eligible to receive their #COVID19 booster shot. Capital Region — get yours today at Crossgates Mall in the old Lord & Taylor store or find a community clinic here: www.bit.ly/albanycountyclinics
- Applying for Heating Assistance (HEAP) This Winter. 🏠 The winter months are approaching fast, so make sure you take advantage of New York’s Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) application window and see if you’re eligible for financial help with heating costs. Apply here now.
- New York Small Business Recovery Grant Program Reminder. 📣 New York’s small business recovery grant program is open for applications to help cover COVID-19 pandemic-related expenditures. For more information and to apply, visit: www.nysmallbusinessrecovery.com
PODCAST: The Fahy Files: What Makes the NY Capital Work (Or Not!) — Connecting in a Time of Chaos
- To highlight some of the individuals in the Capital Region who exemplify what it means to remain connected within our community and cope with the chaos of the past year, I’ve launched a new series of my podcast The Fahy Files, ‘Connecting in a Time of Chaos’.
For more on my work in the state legislature, please visit my official Assembly website, Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, or Medium to stay updated in 2021 and beyond! As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out to my office with any questions or concerns during this time at firstname.lastname@example.org or (518) 455–4178.