Progress continues on the $750M upgrade and consolidation project of Albany’s Wadsworth Labs at the Harriman Campus, conversations continue surrounding I-787’s future relationship with our riverfront, and I announced two libraries in the 109th District are slated to receive state aid to help with physical infrastructure upgrades and facility improvements.
As always, read on for community updates from around the 109th District and stay safe!
LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND PRESS
- Capital Region Coalition Joins Me in Urging Governor Hochul’s Support of Wadsworth Labs Upgrade and Consolidation Project. 🥼 | I was joined by colleagues Senator Neil D. Breslin, Assemblymember John McDonald, local elected leaders Daniel McCoy — Albany County Executive, Albany County Legislature Chair Andrew Joyce, Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan, Albany Common Council President Corey Ellis, and Councilmember Ginnie Farrell, in a letter to Governor Kathy Hochul today emphasizing the state’s $750M project to consolidate & upgrade #Albany’s world-renowned Wadsworth Labs. Not only are 800+ jobs tied to New York State’s premier public health laboratory, but the multiplier effect this project stands to produce within our local economies is immense, and I look forward to sharing even more on our progress soon.
- Albany Biz Review on Wadsworth Labs Project 🧬 | Great Albany Business Review piece reviewing the ongoing progress with the Wadsworth Labs project at the Harriman Campus. Over 800+ jobs are tied to New York’s world-renowned public health laboratory and the $750M initiative would create hundreds of good-paying, local union jobs.
- Update on Progress Surrounding Reimagining I-787. 🛣 Thanks to Nick Reisman with Spectrum News 1 Capital Region for inviting me to give an update on the progress we’re making to reconnect Albany to its historic riverfront, and reimagine I-787’s relationship with our City. You can watch the full interview and read the story by clicking here.
- Two 109th District Libraries to Receive State Library Aid. 📚 | I’m pleased to announce two 109th District libraries will receive state funding to cover the costs of critical infrastructure and facility upgrades at the Albany NY Library Pine Hills Branch and the Guilderland Public Library. Thank you to Senator Neil D. Breslin and Senator Michelle Hinchey for their partnerships on this. Public libraries have played a critical role throughout the #COVID19 pandemic and form the cornerstones of our communities.
- Recognizing International Literacy Day. 📖 This past week is International #LiteracyDay and as a champion of Adult Literacy Education (ALE) funding each year in New York, I recognize the power a tool like literacy has to change one’s life. ALE classes here in the Capital Region have helped hundreds of asylum seekers and refugees advance their American Dream, and I look forward to continuing to champion this critical program.
- Press Conference to Highlight New York’s Role in Rescuing Afghan Allies, Resettling Refugees. Thank you to Immigrant ARC, Assemblyman Jake Ashby, and Assemblymember Catalina Cruz for continuing to highlight the need to continue evacuating at-risk Afghans, facilitating exfiltration for those who still need it and their families, as well as the need to resettle Afghans right here in #NYS. We must do better for our allies.
- Building a Truly Universal and Comprehensive Childcare System in NYS. 👶 Building a universal childcare system is essential to our workforce, women in our workforce, and supporting our families within our local economies. Thank you to Jabari for State Senate, Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy, Assemblymember John McDonald, and the Alliance for Quality Education of New York for highlighting how childcare in NY must be affordable, accessible, high-quality — and universal.
- Back to School for the 2021–22 School Year! 🎒 Wishing all of the Capital Region’s students, teachers, and faculty returning to the classroom this week the best for a safe and successful school year!
ICYMI: IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- ICYMI: Speaker Heastie Appoints Me New Chair of the Assembly Banks Committee. 🚨 Thank you to Speaker Carl Heastie for appointing me the new Chair of the New York State Assembly Committee on Banks. Honored to continue serving the people of the 109th District and New York State in this new capacity, and looking forward to this new chapter and our work ahead.
- ICYMI: 2021 Summer Newsletter Published! 🗞 My summer newsletter recapping the 2021 Legislative Session is live on our Assembly website and have hit mailboxes in the district! Read by clicking on the link in this section!
- ICYMI: Taking Advantage of New York’s Rent Relief Program (ERAP). 🏠 | Renters, tenants, and small landlords who apply for NY’s rent relief program (ERAP) are automatically and legally protected from eviction as the application is processed. Apply now: otda.ny.gov/ERAP The state legislature continues to work with Governor Kathy Hochul on expediting the disbursement of rent relief funds across New York and if you need support with applying for ERAP, please reach out to my office today: ☎️ (518) 455–4178 | 📩 firstname.lastname@example.org
- ICYMI: COVID-19 — Get Vaccinated and Help Stop the Spread of the Delta Variant! 💉 The #COVID19 vaccine is free, safe, and the most effective tool we can leverage to protect the most vulnerable in our communities. To lead by example, 100% of my office staff is fully vaccinated. Talk to family, friends, and neighbors and encourage them to #VaxUp. Find a vaccine site by clicking on the link in this section or on the photo below.
COMMUNITY EVENTS, RESOURCES
- Humanities NY Launches SHARP Grant Applications. 🎨| Are you a nonprofit or tax-exempt organization that provides humanities programming in your community? Considering applying for a Humanities New York SHARP Action Grant to help with up to $10K in costs! Learn more about the grant and application process here.
- CDTA Launches Free Albany Nature Bus. 🌱 Kudos to the Capital District Transportation Authority — CDTA and the Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy for making the Nature Bus™️ happen! Be sure to make use of this free service this summer!
- ICYMI: New York Small Business Recovery Grant Program Launched. 📣 New York’s small business recovery grant program has opened for applications to help cover COVID-19 pandemic-related expenditures. For more information and to apply, visit: www.nysmallbusinessrecovery.com
- Excluded Worker Fund Applications Launch. 📣 NEW: Applications for the Excluded Workers Fund (EWF) are now being accepted! The EWF was created to support NYers who could not get unemployment, pandemic, or other federal relief benefits during the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Apply by clicking on the photos below or at the link in this section.
PODCAST: The Fahy Files: What Makes the NY Capital Work (Or Not!) — Connecting in a Time of Chaos
- To highlight some of the individuals in the Capital Region who exemplify what it means to remain connected within our community and cope with the chaos of the past year, I’ve launched a new series of my podcast The Fahy Files, ‘Connecting in a Time of Chaos’.
For more on my work in the state legislature, please visit my official Assembly website, Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, or Medium to stay updated in 2021 and beyond! As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out to my office with any questions or concerns during this time at email@example.com or (518) 455–4178.